

Fort Findlay
The War of 1812 was fought between the United States and Great Britain over issues including restrictions on American trade, the forced service of American sailors in the British Navy, and America's desire to expand its territory. Though the United States suffered serious losses during the war, including the burning of Washington D.C. in August 1814, American forces also won important victories, and the war ended with the ratification of the Treaty of Ghent on February 17, 1815. Many Americans celebrated it as a second war of independence.
Hancock County played a small but meaningful role in this conflict. General Hull's march from the Scioto River to the Maumee River brought two military posts to the county. The lesser-known Fort Necessity, built in the southernmost part of the county in Madison Township near Williamstown, just south of Arlington, was a small stockade used to store ammunition and food. The soldiers stationed there nicknamed it ""Fort Mud"" because of the constant rain and swampy ground.
After a break in the weather, the men made a three day journey north and built Fort Findlay on the southern bank of the Blanchard River. It was a square stockade with four two-story blockhouses, several small cabins, a main gate on the west side, and a surrounding ditch. Just two days after arriving, General Hull's army moved north, leaving 13 men behind to finish and garrison the fort under Captain Arthur Thomas. The men named the fort in honor of their commanding officer, Colonel James Findlay, who had already marched on and never saw it completed.





