

Hancock County Courthouse
Have you driven by The Hancock County Courthouse on Main Street in Downtown Findlay? It is one of the most impressive buildings in Findlay. Designed by Weary and Kramer and built by William Campfield, construction began on April 1, 1886, the cornerstone was laid that August, and the building was completed in November 1887. The exterior is made entirely of rusticated stone trimmed with polished Quincy granite, and the building was remarkable for its day for its massive stained glass windows. At the front of the building, three statues of women representing justice, law, and mercy stand watch from above. The central tower rises 130 feet and is crowned by a copper-covered dome, and each of the four clocks on the tower has a nine-foot dial. At the very top stands a 16-foot bronze statue of John Hancock, the man for whom the county was named. Inside, nearly all of the materials are stone and metal, with wood used only for the wainscoting in the halls, window and door casings, and the elegant stairways.






